Saturday, August 8, 2009

Boxing Returns to Lynchburg: Interview with Scott Sigmon


Boxing returns to the Hill City on Saturday August 29th to the Lynchburg City Armory. I recently had the chance to talk to Scott "Cujo" Sigmon, who will be headlining the card in Lynchburg. Tickets are going fast and can still be purchased by going to the Jamerson Y or Buffalo Wild Wings in Lynchburg. For more information about the card, visit Major League Boxing

Bob Alvis: First off thank you for your time today. You are a graduate of Staunton River High School, I don't know a lot of former Golden Eagles who have gotten into boxing. What led you to get into boxing?

Scott Sigmon: As a kid, I always wanted to be a superhero. In boxing, you can will yourself to victory and inspire people, much like a superhero.

BA: When you had the fight card in April in Lynchburg, what type of results were you expecting crowd wise, and did the crowd lead you to believe that you could have future success in Lynchburg with boxing?

SS: We brought in over a thousand people. For the first time in 27 years, that was not bad. I believe we will probably be in Lynchburg quarterly now.

BA: Okay, now let's get back to boxing. Take me through your training. What's your daily training schedule when you have a fight that's on the books and what's the training schedule for you, when you don't have a fight set up on the schedule.

SS: I stay in shape year round, you never know when a fight might pop up. When I have one scheduled I start 8 weeks out. The schedule is as follows:
Monday: 5 mile run, 500 sit-ups, 12 rounds jump rope, 12 rounds target mitts, 12 rounds heavy bag
Tuesday: 5 mile run, 500 sit-ups, 12 rounds circuit on weights
Wednesday: Repeat Monday
Thursday: Repeat Tuesday
Friday: 500 sit-ups, spar 20 rounds

BA: Your record is 6-1 right now, how hard is it to make a name for yourself and what are some of the things you have learned from fight one to where you are at now?

SS: You know, the politics in boxing are hard to get around so I just fight the best guys that will fight me. So far all but 1 of my opponents have had winning records. The thing I have learned since fight one, is a huge set of skills defensively. Even though I am extremely aggressive, the defense helps me land more clean shots.

BA: I am a huge boxing fan, but it doesn't seem like there are a ton of hardcore boxing fans nowadays. Why do you think that is? Is there anything that can be done to add more boxing fans?

SS: One thing that will add more boxing fans is a huge personality with an exciting fight style. (Muhammad) Ali, (Joe) Frazier, Sugar Ray (Leonard) , (Marvin) Hagler, (Thomas) Hearns, (Mike) Tyson. But do not worry I have arrived! Second, boxing needs to only have one champ per weight class. Third, boxing needs to get back on regular TV or some mainstream network. Fourth, boxing needs to get back in sports bars. They charge the bars like $ 3,000 to show the fights,that is ludicrous!. Finally, more youth need to get involved with boxing. They will have a respect for the sport,and it will help the sport's future in addition to the participant.

BA: Final question (for now, as we hope to be talking to you lots more in the future), tell me about the card and what people will get to see if they come out to the Armory on the 29th.

SS: There are always lots of punches in my fights. It is up to my opponent on how long it lasts.

Reminder, you can get your tickets at Buffalo Wild Wings or the Jamerson YMCA for boxing's return to Lynchburg on August 29th. For more information, visit Major League Boxing.

No comments: