Friday, November 7, 2008

Get out the Keys: Locks of the Week

Last week I took a week off. Good thing, because I would have done poorly, taking Texas against Texas Tech, and it would just go down from there.

My college locks
1. Take Rutgers -14. Rutgers host Syracuse. Do I need more of a reason then that? Syracuse is known for producing good sportscasters, and some good football players (Marvin Harrison, Donovan McNabb, Dwight Freeney) but nothing has walked through that door lately to rave about at the 'Cuse.

2. Take LSU + 3. LSU is hosting Alabama. Nick Saban strolls back into Baton Rouge, where he brought a national title to the Tigers. Guess what Nick? Les Miles has done that too. The Tigers have been a little up and down this year, but they'll be up for the 'Tide. Tigers win the game outright (but I am only obliged in the lock to say they'll cover the number).

3. Take Florida St - 5 1/2. I know Bobby Bowden would never admit this publically, but you have to think deep down, that he'd love to roll the Tigers. Even if the guys still on Clemson, are "Tommy's Kids". No Tiger's player is calling Tommy daddy right now. Take the Seminoles to win (obviously if they are going to cover the number) in the powerhouse football conference known as the ACC.

4. Take Michigan State - 9 1/2. Joe Tiller's Purdue Boliermakers are just not that great of a football team this season. That being said, I like what Michigan State is doing. In East Lansing, I think the Spartans can win by 10 or more.

5. Take UCLA + 8. I know UCLA has been spotty this year with success, but I think the Beavers of Oregon State can't win by more then 4 at best in Los Angeles. I say take the Bruins, dam it.

NFL Picks
This is where I have made money (well theoretical money). Let's see if I got another good week in me.

1. Take Green Bay + 2 1/2 at Minnesota. I don't feel great about this pick, but I feel good enough to make it. I really don't have any reasons behind this pick, other then the fact that I think Green Bay gets it done in the dome. Plus, to cover they only have to lose by less then 3 or win outright. I feel pretty good that they will do one of the two.

2. Take New Orleans + 1 at Atlanta. I am not going to lie, I don't feel good about this one at all. I don't know why I made the pick. Full disclosure, I am a Saints fan, which makes me want to pick Atlanta more, but I just see the "dirty birds" falling off a tree branch in this one. Take the Saints to win outright.

3. Take Philadelphia - 3 vs. the New York Football Giants. I think the Eagles defense is going to make Eli Manning's night a long one. I like the Eagles offense to put up at least 28 points in this one, and on Sunday night, I like Philadelphia.

4. Take Tennessee - 3 vs. Chicago. Hear is why I am taking the Titans, or any other team that would be playing the Bears this week: Rex Grossman. Enough said. With that being said however, don't think the Titans will go undefeated. They will lose next week at Jacksonville, but I'll tackle that next week.

5. Take Jacksonville - 6 1/2 at Detroit. I know people have thought Jacksonville is the league's biggest dissappointment. I don't agree with that. Can Daunte Culpepper be the Lions savior this week? In a word, no. Take the Jags to win by about 9, which would cover the spread.

Good wagering to you all.

No comments: