Monday, November 24, 2008

Reviewing my Preseason NFL Picks

What type of genius am I? How foggy is my crystal ball? Let's find out here.

My Super Bowl pick: New England and Dallas.
That went out the window essentially when Tom Brady went down for the season. I don't know that I can make an excuse with Dallas, because they have had no devastating injury. Granted, Tony Romo was out 2-3 games, but they played the Rams during that stretch and lost. Brad Johnson couldn't beat the Rams? Brad Garrett should have been able to beat the Rams, but I digress. I don't think my Super Bowl pick is going to hit. If you are interested in my "revised" Super Bowl pick, I like the New York football Giants and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

My AFC East Picks
1. New England
2. NY Jets
3. Buffalo
4. Miami

Current Standings
1. NY Jets (8-3)
2. New England (7-4)
3. Miami (6-5)
4. Buffalo (6-5)

No major blunders here. I am not going to sprain my right hand or anything, by patting myself on the back or anything. However, I think you gotta give Evil Bill some credit. If you had told our friend, Joe Fan, that the Patriots would be 7-4 without Tom Brady, I think you would have gotten some weird looks. Even more so, Matt Cassell may be playing himself into a starting job somewhere next year. His potential suitors I think could involve Detroit, St. Louis, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa Bay, and you never know maybe even Philadelphia. I know, I didn't list any great teams (or top teams right there) but top teams normally don't need a new quarterback.

My AFC South Picks
1. Indianapolis
2. Jacksonville
3. Tennessee
4. Houston

Actual Standings
1. Tennessee (10-1)
2. Indianapolis (7-4)
3. Jacksonville (4-7)
4. Houston (4-7)

Alright, let's look at a couple points. If you said Tennessee would be 10-1 right now, I expect your nose just grew. If you said you thought Jacksonville would be 4-7 after 11 games, I think your nose has grown some more to where we can put a tray on it. Give the Titans credit, they are playing very good football. Even with a loss to the Jets, that shouldn't put a damper on the Titans season. The Colts came out of the gate trotting. Peyton Manning struggled to start, Joseph Addai has been banged up, so I think with the Colts being 7-4, that's not bad for them. However, the Colts also have a lot of games in the "should have lost" or "almost lost" category. Jacksonville, 4-7, has to be up there for the most disappointing team in the NFL. I don't think they are more disappointing then Cleveland, but they have to be up there in the disappointment category. With that being said, I don't think Jack Del Rio loses his job. Houston has battled injury with Matt Schaub being knicked up. However, the Texans can take Steve Slaton (a former West Virginia Mountaineer) as a major bright point. So, I don't think my AFC South predictions make me a colossal idiot. I think anyone's revised version would have to have Tennessee first. If the Titans don't win the division at this point, it's a major choke job.

My AFC North Picks
1. Pittsburgh
2. Cincinnati
3. Cleveland
4. Baltimore

Actual AFC North Standings
1. Pittsburgh (8-3)
2. Baltimore (7-4)
3. Cleveland (4-7)
4. Cincinnati (1-9-1)

Alright, let's just get this out of the way, I am an idiot. I don't know what extraterrestrial inhibited my body to where I picked the Bengals 2nd. Picking the Steelers first, that doesn't take a lot of sense, but even with an associates degree (I am not trying to knock anyone who has completed an associates degree) an individual shouldn't have picked the Bengals 2nd. True Bengals fans may have been able to warn me that I was going to be dead wrong coming into the season, but I apparently didn't listen. Coming into the season, I thought an offense with Carson, Ocho and T.J. couldn't be all bad. I didn't sense Ryan Fitzpatrick being the captain of the ship of delinquents. You have to give credit to the Baltimore Ravens, John Harbaugh should get some consideration for AFC Coach of the Year. The Ravens have no true number 1 wide receivers in my eyes, Willis McGahee has not been a stud at the tailback spot, Todd Heap has been extremely disappointing (fantasy owners know what I'm talking about). But, Joe Flacco didn't get the memo that he's a rookie. The former Delaware Blue Hen has been excellent in his starting role. Flacco, who wasn't even suppose to be starting, has excelled in a role. I don't even think the most optimistic Ravens fan, would have pegged them to be 7-4. I love Romeo Crennel (you have to support Hill City natives), but I think the Browns have been the most disappointing team in the NFL. I didn't think there would be one game this year where the Browns would score under 21. The Browns haven't scored 21 in 6 of their 11 games this year, including 5 of their first 6, so therefore the Browns offense has disappointed me. Look at the schedule, I would have had the Browns at 7-4, not 4-7. The Browns should, in hindsight, have probably traded Derek Anderson while the iron was hot. Anderson struggled to start the year, and you knew when that happened, the Dog Pound was going to scream and holler for Brady Quinn. To say Braylon Edwards has had a case of the dropsies this season. I don't have exact numbers but anytime anyone watches a Browns game nowadays, even if you watch for only five minutes of real time, you can count on seeing an Edwards dropped pass. Anyways, my grade for picking the AFC North. Not good. I will slap myself in the face, back of the head or on the rump for poor AFC North picking.

My AFC West Picks
1. San Diego
2. Oakland
3. Kansas City
4. Denver

Actual AFC West Standings
1. Denver (6-5)
2. San Diego (4-7)
3. Oakland (3-8)
4. Kansas City (1-10)

Alright, I will raise my hand and a sign that says "I'm a dumbass", for picking the Raiders 2nd. I thought this division was so bad, that the Raiders would have a chance to be in 2nd place. Here's the sad part, they actually have a chance to be in 2nd place. Anyone who is a fan of an AFC West team, and has watched them for 11 games this season. My sympathies to anyone who has had to watch that. Let's sum up the division this way, the Raiders (who even with a 3-8 record are maybe the 2nd worst team in football) beat Denver 31-10 at Mile High. The division leading Denver Broncos lost to the Oakland Raiders, 31-10 at Mile High. 31-10! The Raiders, who hadn't scored a touchdown in over 200 plays, had the spirit of Kenny Stabler, Cliff Branch and everyone else who played for the Raiders that was a capable of scoring a touchdown (something this team has problems doing). Let's bottom line it this way, the AFC West stinks. Are my picks not dead on? Yes, but this division stinks.

My NFC East Picks
1. Dallas
2. Philadelphia
3. NY Giants
4. Washington

Actual NFC East Standings
1. NY Giants (10-1)
2. Washington (7-4)
3. Dallas (7-4)
4. Philadelphia (5-5-1)

Dallas has been somewhat disappointing. It's funny to say that about a 7-4 team, but the expectations were set so high for Jerry's group, anything short of 10-1 would have been underachieving. If you look at the last place team in the division, they are .500. The Eagles would be in contention for the lead in the AFC West. I don't really think there is a bad team in the division. Granted, the Eagles have problems (a few more after yesterday) but there problems are no worse then most teams. On that Eagles "controversy", at the end of the year, it may be time for Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid to go. McNabb to the Vikings, Reid can take the year off and then take another job after a year off. The Philadelphia fans are some of the most demanding fans in the world (in all sports). If they want to have some other coach and Kevin Kolb manning the ship to start next year. Good luck. I expect them to be a team under .500 at the week 11 mark if that happens. I am going to give myself an okay grade for this, but I really don't know with the way the NFC East is, if anyone could really screw up the NFC East prognostications.

My NFC South Picks
1. Carolina
2. New Orleans
3. Tampa Bay
4. Atlanta

Actual NFC South Standings
1. Tampa Bay (8-3)
2. Carolina (8-3)
3. Atlanta (7-4)
4. New Orleans (5-5 entering tonight's Monday night game)

Mike Smith should be the coach of the year for the Falcons. Anyone, who thought the Falcons would have 5 wins right now, stand up. Okay, now all those who are lying, sit down. Everyone should be seated. Matt Ryan, like Flacco, didn't get the memo about "playing like a rookie". Ryan, also can thank Michael Turner for a good portion of the team's success. The real coup would be if the Falcons could squeeze into the playoffs. The Saints have been disappointing, but not to the point where Sean Payton should be looking over his shoulder or anything. The Saints, wish list in the offseason, should be finding a corner and getting a running back who can just run the ball down someone's throat (granted a lot of teams would like someone like that), but I think Deuce McAllister has run his course. So, if you want Pierre Thomas or Aaron Stecker to be the bruiser, then that's fine. My NFC South shouldn't be viewed upon highly, but I'd be highly surprised to see anyone that had Atlanta finishing anywhere other then last.

My NFC North Picks
1. Minnesota
2. Detroit
3. Green Bay
4. Chicago

Actual NFC North Standings
1. Chicago (6-5)
2. Minnesota (6-5)
3. Green Bay (5-5 Entering tonight's Monday Nighter)
4. Detroit (0-10)

Alright, here's my rationale for having Detroit 2nd. I thought this division was so bad headed into the season. I said to myself, "Why not the Lions?". Well, I forgot Matt Millen was in charge (earlier) and this is the Lions. I thought the Bears would be God awful. They have not. I didn't think Minnesota would be that good. In my opinion, they are not that good, so I was right on that one. The Packers have been .500 (maybe below .500 after tonight-hopefully since I am a Saints fan). I still think the Packers will be fine in the long run with Aaron Rodgers has the pilot of the team. My NFC North picks. I should get a big fat F for picking the Lions 2nd. I should actually have my blog revoked for that, but that won't happen (and it's not like anyone reads it anyways.)

My NFC West Picks
1. Seattle
2. Arizona
3. San Francisco
4. St. Louis

Actual NFC West Standings
1. Arizona (7-4)
2. San Francisco (3-8)
3. Seattle (2-9)
4. St. Louis (2-9)

I was almost dead on. I picked one out of four teams correct. To call the NFC West a Professional football conference, is an insult to professional football. All the old timers from the NFC West (especially those who are involved with the bottom 3 teams) should be rolling in their graves. This division has been a disgrace to Professional football. I am not going to even say anything else about this division, I don't think I should have to defend or condemn myself on these picks, because anyone that watches a game involving a NFC West team, should be given the medal of honor just for that.

It's obvious I am going to be off on this as well. My top 10 NFL Draft picks.
1. Chicago
2. Atlanta
3. Miami
4. St. Louis
5. San Francisco
6. Denver
7. Houston
8. Baltimore
9. Kansas City
10. Green Bay

The actual top 10 picks right now would be
1. Detroit
2. Kansas City
3. Cincinnati
4. St. Louis
5. Seattle
6. Oakland
7. San Francisco
8-10. Several teams bunched at 4-7.

So, while I feel like a partial idiot on some of my picks, I guarantee there are people who are more stupid then me.

Alvis out

No comments: