Thursday, February 5, 2009

MLB Free Agents: Where they should land?

You would have to think the economy is playing a big factor, in the fact that about 29 free agents of note are still unsigned and we are less then two weeks away from pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training. Here's a look at some of the guys who are still on the market and where I think they should land.


Catchers
Ivan Rodriguez: Pudge is rapidly approaching the end of the line. Steroid speculation is going to hang over Rodriguez's head and his production has gone down like a shopper on the escalator at the mall.

Where I think he should land: Texas Rangers: Nobody is talking about them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Pudge possibly have it end, where it all started. The Rangers have young catchers that are unproven and maybe Pudge can show them the way. I see a small deal for Pudge, 1 year in the neighborhood of 3-4 million.


2nd Basemen
Ray Durham: If Orlando Hudson is having a hard time finding a job, I can't imagine it's going to be any easier for Ray Durham. I think Durham's best shot may be to play the utility role and go to a young team as the mentor type.

Where I think he should land: Tampa Bay Rays: Rays have Pat Burrell, but after that not much in terms of a veteran presence. With that being said, I like Durham to be playing in Tampa.


Orlando Hudson: This one is kind of difficult, because I do think there are suitors for Hudson, just not at Hudson's desired price tag. I think Hudson and Adam Dunn are going to land in the same spot, and I give two choices as the best chances for that, Washington and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Where I think he should land: Washington Nationals: The Nationals need players to make the team interesting (granted Hudson can't pitch, which is what the Nationals need the most) but I like Hudson being a solid anchor to the Nats defense, as long as they want him. I think Hudson is a very underrated player and can help the Nats for quite a time. Also, I think it could help Hudson marketing wise, when the game is looking to promote it's players in the African American community.


Shortstops

Orlando Cabrera: Cabrera also has taken a tumble from the his past performance over the years. Oakland had talked about moving him to second base, however I think there is a place where he can play shortstop.

Where I think he should land: Chicago Cubs: I could easily see Cabrera, moving from the south side to the north side. I think Lou Pinella has a penchant for veterans over youngsters. If Cabrera goes to short, that would move Ryan Theriot to 2nd and Aaron Miles then becomes the super sub.

Third Basemen
Joe Crede: The thing that has hurt Crede more then anything has been injuries. Crede, like all these other guys is going to have to take a small 1 year deal, or an incentive laced deal, to prove themselves and hopefully gets a better deal next year (and hope the economy gets better also). Crede has had back struggles, could probably fill in at 1st and DH, as well as play 3rd.

Where I think he should land: St. Louis Cardinals: When Crede is healthy, he's good. Every season in which he has played 100 games or more, he has at least 19 home runs. His best season came in '06, when he hit .283 and smacked 30 home runs. I think he would help St. Louis, and maybe give Albert Pujols some protection. I mean, let's be honest, the Cards have a lot of unproven sticks in that lineup behind Big Al, so why not give Crede a shot.

Outfielders
Bobby Abreu: Once again, this is a line you can use for everyone, the economy is probably hurting these players. Abreu, is getting older but I still think he has some juice left. I think he can help a team and give them about the same thing he did last year, 20 HR's, 100 RBI's and 22 SB's. He also flirted with .300, batting .296. I think Abreu can help out around the same numbers. If I was the Yankees, I'd rather have him in right field then Johnny Damon, because Abreu has a better arm.

Where I think he should land: Detroit Tigers: Just load the line up a little more with power. Take Abreu and move him to left field. Then, take Carlos Guillen and move him to 2nd base. After you do that, trade Placido Polanco to a team that could use a super sub or a middle infielder, and in return the Tigers can get a relief pitcher, or another starter.

Moises Alou: Okay, first off supposedly Alou, has a pretty bad habit to make his hands tough. Plus, Alou also acted like a little 7 year old, when Steve Bartman reached over the wall a few years back during the Cubs NLCS with ehe Cardinals several years back. I think Alou is almost out of chances due to the fact of age and injuries. The AL might be the best choice for the Whizzinator.

Where I think he should land: Toronto Blue Jays: The Jays could use someone in left field and maybe someone to help out as a DH every now and again. Plus, Alou being a veteran presence may be able to help out Toronto with some leadership qualities (as long as nobody leans over the left field wall trying to catch a foul ball).

Garret Anderson: A good veteran presence, I like Anderson and think he can still be very helpful in the clubhouse and can provide some pop and more. I don't think Anderson is going to put up MVP numbers, but I don't think he will hurt you either. A good pick up for someone.

Where I think he should land: Los Angeles Angels: He should stay put. I think he is a better option in left field then Juan River, and I think he's a better option at Designated Hitter then Gary Matthews Jr. Anderson, has never hit less then .280 in a season during his career. The Angels should keep him, but they won't and it will be someone else's gain.

Adam Dunn: Probably overrated. It seems like it's either feast or famine with Dunn, as he often hits a homer or strikes out. (40 home runs, 160 strike outs. That comes to 204 home runs/strikeouts out of 517 at bats). To me, that's a lot of homers or strike outs. But, I mean if you are a team and you can get 40 home runs and 100 RBI's out of him, that's still pretty good.

Where I think he should land: Washington Nationals: After Ryan Zimmerman and Josh Willingham, the person with the most power at Nationals Park is the guy sitting in section 302, row AA, seat 6. If you don't read between the lines, that means the Nats need some pop. Adam Dunn brings that pop. Pay him the money, sign him, worry about some pitching later on.

More free agent projections to come later

No comments: