Saturday, February 7, 2009

A-Rod or A-Roid or A-Something Else?

A-Rod, Say it Ain’t So.

Should we be surprised that any of our “baseball heroes” aren’t so heroic these days. The Home Run King Jerk, Barry Bonds, was in line to be passed by Alex Rodriguez down the road, as long as A-Rod could stay healthy (Remember it was Ken Griffey Jr. that was originally going to pass Hank Aaron, but Junior hasn’t been a picture of perfect health since about 1998). Today, it was reported by Sports Illustrated that Rodriguez had used steroids in 2003. Granted, that was before they became “illegal” in baseball, and before you would be ratted out for a failed test. Supposedly 104 people were on that list, and one name gets leaked: Alex Rodriguez. Let’s examine this point by point.

Where are the other 103 names? If in 2003 steroids were illegal by the laws of the land, then they should be illegal in baseball. If they weren’t, then you still have to think of the consequences. Is this something I should put in my body? Is this the form of a drug? Is this something that could get me in trouble down the road? If the answers to any of those questions are “NO”, then you shouldn’t do it. But, I think if A-Rod’s name is divulged, then I want to see the other 103 names as well. One person shouldn’t be putting in front of the firing squad for this.

Rodriguez lied. There is no argument on that one. Rodriguez was asked by Katie Couric on “60 Minutes’, (Check out this for more from Rodriguez's "60 Minutes" appearence.)

Couric: "For the record, have you ever used steroids, human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing substance?"
Rodriguez: “No.”
Couric: "You never felt like, 'This guy's doing it, maybe I should look into this, too? He's getting better numbers, playing better ball,'"
Rodriguez: "I've never felt overmatched on the baseball field. I've always been a very strong, dominant position. And I felt that if I did my work as I've done since I was, you know, a rookie back in Seattle, I didn't have a problem competing at any level. So, no,"

Right there, the man lied, the public is much more forgiving if you are honest and forthcoming when you make a mistake. If Peter Edward Rose had admitted to the gambling immediately after he had done it, he would most likely be in the Hall of Fame today. Instead he waited more then 10 years to come clean. A-Rod has tarnished his reputation by being just another liar.

That Joe Torre book isn’t looking so bad right now. The least of A-Rod’s problems is the Joe Torre book, “The Yankee Years”. In there, Torre said Rodriguez was jealous of Jeter’s attention and was called A-Fraud by his teammates. Would you rather be known as A-Rod or A-Roid?

When the Yankees go on the road, A-Rod is going to see sings that say “A-Roid” among others, (I think if I was A-Rod, I’d almost rather see a sign that read “A-Hole”. Jeter, Posada and others are going to have to field these questions in spring training. It’s just another distraction for the Yankees (maybe people won’t notice now if Teixeira hits .230 in the first month or if Sabathia gives up 6 runs in an April start) and more importantly just another black eye for this great game.

Can someone find me Jose Canseco? I need a HONEST opinion on something, and right now he looks as honest as Abe Lincoln.

No comments: