Friday, October 26, 2007

Random Sports Thoughts 10/26

Random thoughts from the world of sports for Friday, October 26th.

- The Major League Baseball season is over. The Boston Red Sox (or as I like to call them, the "Evil Empire") will capture their 2nd World Series title in three years. I heard someone mention the word "dynasty" when referring to this team. I think that word is a little strong. I don't use the word "dynasty" when talking about a team that has won 2 World Series in four years. Also, in case anyone cares who I think should sit for Boston when they go to Colorado, it should be...... Mike Lowell. Put Youkilis as third and let Ortiz play first. If you need to make a late inning substitution, put Lowell in at third and move Youkilis across the diamond.

- A golden opportunity for Virginia Tech blown. I thought the Hokies would win the game (although I thought them being 3 point favorites over the # 2 team in country was a bit ridiculous) but the Hokies blew it down the stretch. I did not see the whole game, but what I did see proved Matt Ryan can make some plays. Boston College will still lose though, whether it be in the ACC Championship or a regular season game. My hope is everyone can ger 1or 2 lowsses this season. Let's complicate things as much as we can.

- One of my favorite times of the year is coming up: the start of the college basketball season. I know Richmond plays November 9th. Now, I do think November 9th is a little early. But can it ever be too early for College Basketball?

- The New York Yankees are wrapping up their managerial search. The three confirmed interviewees that are finalists all have Yankees ties. Former catcher and current YES Network broadcaster, Joe Girardi. Then, Don Mattingly, Yankees bench coach. Finally, Tony Pena, first base coach for this past year's team. I personally wish Bobby Valentine had been included in this interview process. I really don't have a preference with any of the three "finalists". I think Mattingly's inexperience is overrated. Joe Girardi hadn't been a manager until he became manager of the year with the Florida Marlins. Plus, I don't think Joe Torre ever really handled the Yankees pitching staff that well.

Alvis out.

No comments: