Saturday, July 18, 2009

Can the Old Guy do it?

Two months away from most people 60th birthday, they are looking forward to spending time with the grandchildren, or looking forward to ending their work career and heading into a life of retirement. Yea, Tom Watson is only 18 holes away from winning the British Open: a golf major. How's that for an early 60th birthday?

But the question, is can he do it? Can the 59 year old Watson capture his 9th major? Mike Tirico said when ABC flashed up the most majors graphics today, that we were expecting another guy to add to his majors (Tiger Woods), but instead it's going to be Tom Watson in the quest for his 9th major. I think if Watson is able to win the British Open, it goes up there in the greatest stories of the history of sports. I'd put it right up there with the Miracle on Ice, and other great sporting events of the past.

Can Watson do it though? If I had to bet, I am going to bet no. I would love to see the 59 year old capture the Claret jug. However, I just have the fear for Tom, that someone is going to go low tomorrow and that a 70, 71 or 72 is just not going be enough to win. I am rooting for Tom Watson, but I look for Ross Fisher to win.

No comments: