Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thoughts on Current Happenings in the World of Sports

- Whatever you are doing right now, stop. Stand up and give a round of applause to Tom Watson. For the 59 year old to be right there and have the Claret Jug in his grasp on the 72nd hole of the British Open is amazing. Watson tabbed it right when he said "Would've been a hell of a story." But, I don't think Watson should be looked at as a choker or anything else. I told my friend and huge golf fan, Kyle Hoehne, on Saturday that I had two concerns for Sunday's final round. One, I was afraid someone a few shots off was going to go low. Second, I didn't want it going to a playoff. The more golf holes you have, the better chance of something bad happening. Unfortunately, I was right on both accounts. Also, how about a little credit to Stewart Cink. Cink, a very good player, I think won the major just as much as Watson lost it. If Watson plays in the PGA Championship, he will need an invitation from the tournament organizers. For more on this check out several blogs including The Sports Buffet Podcast's own bloggers, Scott Wilson and K.C. Spiron.


Gene Wojciechowski's Take on Tom Watson
John Feinstein's Take on Tom Watson
Scott Wilson's Take on Tom Watson
K.C. Spiron's Take on Tom Watson


- I don't think Roy Halladay is going to be traded. I think the price tag is way too high. I think the price tag will come down in the off-season and I think he will be dealt to a team in the AL or NL West. Phillies, maybe an outside shot. I don't think the Yankees are likely. I'd also put the Mets, Red Sox, White Sox and Cardinals in the discussion. The problem is if you are going to trade for him now, you will have to give up two major league ready prospects, a high double A prospect and a mid range single A prospect. I think if you wait until the offseason, you may only have to deal one major league prospect, a triple A prospect and a single A prospect. Mike Francessa was discussing the issue of Halladay to the Yankees on his show the other day on WFAN and YES. Francessa, a Yankees fan, didn't want the Yankees to add Halladay because essentially they have enough talent already and he thought if they got Halladay, then it's just too unfair. I disagree with that premise, I just don't want to give up the prospects.


- Miguel Cotto and Manny Pacquiao became a finalized deal this past week. The fight is set for November 14th. Sweet science fans are going to get two real treats this fall (if you want to pay for them) between Cotto and the Pac Man, and the September tilt between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez. Also, Showtime is having a mini Super Middleweight tournament. Lots to be excited about if you are a boxing fan. So, only a few of us are.


- Ed O' Bannon is suing the NCAA for the NCAA using the likeness and images of players once they leave school without reimbursement. I think this is a good move by O'Bannon. However, I don't think he's going to win. I used to come down on the side of don't pay athletes, but I think I am changing my tune. It's impossible for athletes to hold jobs during the season and they really have no source of revenue during that time. I know people are going to say they are getting a free education, and I think that is a great gift for those who are on full scholarship. However, with the way the NCAA pimps out most of these athletes (look at jerseys with numbers on them of a certain school) and for the player essentially not to receive anything off of it. I think is wrong. Either the NCAA needs to stop pimping these kids or they need to look at a monetary compensation program for some of these athletes.


- Roger Goddell is going to have a decision to make. Should Michael Vick be reinstated? I think what he did was disgusting, reprehensible and an inhumane act. However, he has served the punishment that was assigned to him by the legal system, so he should be reinstated. I somewhat think it's sad that we have started to value an animal's life over a human's life in society. I mean, I feel bad for all the dogs that were wrongfully sent to their death in Vick's dogfighting ring, but how many non sports fans are familiar with what Donte' Stallworth and Leonard Little have done in their past and their respective punishment? Not many.


- On a final note, something happened to me last night that had never happened to me before. I caught a foul ball at a baseball game. I was a guest of Dave Hoehne and WKDE Radio in their skybox last night. Dave and I were the only two sitting outside of the glassed area of the skybox. A foul ball was hit by a Potomac Nationals batter and somehow made it through the net and the top of the building (essentially an awning) and the ball struck the glass and bounced down and landed in front of me. I picked it up and became the proud owner of an official Carolina League baseball. I have attended many baseball games in my life, all the way from youth to the Major League game, and I have never got a foul ball. Last night was my moment.


That's all for now. But before I bid you farewell, check out my appearance on Community Corner with Jay Daniels.

No comments: