Sunday, July 5, 2009

New Homes before July 31st for these guys?

The Sporting News recently listed 5 position players and 5 pitchers that could be on the move before the July 31st non waiver trade deadline. My thoughts on these players and if they will be wearing new uniforms or if they will stay with their same duds.

Matt Holliday-Oakland A's
Possibilities: Mets, Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox, Giants
Holliday, without a doubt is the bright star of the 2009 rumor mill. Numerous teams could be interested in Holliday (Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, I have heard Giants as well), but I think the obvious team that would want Holliday would be the St. Louis Cardinals. No offense to Mark Derosa, Kahili Greene, Ryan Ludwick or Rick Ankiel, but none of those guys are what I'd call great protection for Pujols. I think if they could pick up Holliday, you could almost pencil in a NLCS match up of the Dodgers and Cardinals.
My pick: He goes to St. Louis

Jeff Francoeur-Atlanta Braves
Possibilities: Royals, I don't know who else
I don't think Francoeur moves. I don't know that Frank Wren really gets it. He has made no good moves this season, and I don't think trading Francoeur is a good move (which means Wren might do it). If you trade Francoeur, you are going to probably be giving up a young player for another young player. Do you trade someone that's in the major league and that's already performed at that level. The biggest knock on Francoeur is plate discipline, and that he chases a lot of pitches, but Alfonso Soriano swings at a lot of pitches outside the strike zone, and it has worked for him (up until this season). My point is I don't think he leaves Atlanta.
My pick: Stays at Turner Field.

Aubrey Huff-Baltimore Orioles
Possibilities: Reds, Blue Jays, Red Sox , Rays
Aubrey Huff is not a guy that is going to be sought after for his defense. That being said, it's probably going to take a team that either needs his bat at either 1B or as a Designated Hitter. The other scenario is taking a guy to bring off the bench. With that being said, I see Boston as a possible destination. The Red Sox three big bench guys are Nick Green, Mark Kotsay and Rocco Baldelli. Baldelli is a right handed hitter, Kotsay bats left, and Green bats right. Baldelli and Kotsay have more pop then Green does. But, the other question is how many guys can you say you would have Huff pinch hit for? Depending on how much longer Mike Lowell is going to be out for, you can say Huff could play 1st rather then Kotsay. I guess a return to Tampa Bay could also be in the cards, but with the chemistry they have right now, I'd pass. If he goes anywhere, my pick is Boston. The only reason I list the Reds are they are Huff's hometown team (he is from Marion, Ohio, which is near Columbus, but you know the other Ohio team has no interest in Huff since Cleveland will probably be sellers.)

Nick Johnson-Washington Nationals
Possibilities: Mariners, Dodgers, Angels, Mets
Seattle is intriguing to me. Johnson's numbers are not near as good as Russell Branyon's (the Mariners current 1B), average wise, Johnson is slightly better, power wise Branyon has 20 HR's to Johnson's 5. But, Branyon can play other positions (he could last time I checked, he has spent time at 3B and in the outfield). With Johnson in Seattle, you could put Branyon in left or at 3B, since the M's have a hole there right now without Adrian Beltre. You could also have Branyon spell Griffey at DH every now and again. Griffey is only hitting .210. You could flip flop 1B and trade Johnson for the Dodgers' James Loney, but considering Loney's name has been mentioned in packages for much bigger fish in the past, I don't see that happening. You also have the Larry Bowa factor (he is Johnson's uncle) and Johnson has played for Torre in the past. Also, the Mets should be considered a possibility. It's not like they have anything better at 1B.

Mark Teahen-Kansas City Royals
Possibilities: Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers, Mariners, Cardinals, Mets
Teahen could be a very valuable utility player for a team. He has experience at 3B, 2B and the outfield. If the Mariners are going to be buyers, then I think they have to be considered a candidate since they have just lost Adrian Beltre to injury. If the Mets still think they have a shot at anything, then they need to improve their defense. Right now, you could see better defense at an Alvis family picnic then you can in the infield and outfield at Citi Field. The Cardinals having just acquired Mark Derosa may not be interested, but can you really have too many people that can play multiple positions? If Mike Lowell is going to be out for an extended period of time, you could make a case for Teahen to the Red Sox, although some people say Youkilis is better at 3rd. I think Mark Teahen should be highly sought after for a contending team (even though he has never played for one in Kansas City)

Pitchers
Jarrod Washburn-Seattle Mariners
Possibilities: Brewers, White Sox, Cubs, Cardinals
Are the Mariners sellers? If they are not, then Washburn probably doesn't leave. However, if they do deal him, or fellow lefty Erik Bedard, then throw in all those teams as possibilites, and probably some teams I haven't listed. I think Washburn would be a good acquistion for Milwaukee. Granted, he is not C.C. Sabathia, but on the other side of the coin, you are not going to have to give up the quality or quantity of prospects you gave up to get C.C. either. Washburn could also maybe help out the Cubs or White Sox. I also believe the Cardinals need to acquire one more pitcher, preferably a front of the rotation guy.

Doug Davis-Arizona Diamondbacks
Possibilities: St.Louis, LA Angels, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Phillies
It's a shame that for a guy with an ERA of 3.13, Davis has 8 losses and only 4 wins to his credit. I don't know that he is a front of the rotation guy, but I still think he'd be a good acquistion for the Cardinals. Davis is from southern California, which is why I threw the Angels on the list. The Mets need all the help they can get, but I think it is becoming too late for them (however with the way the Phillies are playing, the Mets can stay in it due to that). The Diamondbacks are way down in the NL West, 18 1/2 out to be exact, and the only team they are better then in the National League record wise are the Nationals, so I see no reason to keep Davis. If I had to make a pick, I am going to say Davis goes to St. Louis.

George Sherrill-Baltimore Orioles
Possibilities: The Whole League
Every one needs a lefty in the bullpen, I don't know that Sherrill could go somewhere else and close (there are a few possibilties) but I think the better idea would be to trade Danys Baez. Baez also has some closing experience and has pitched for teams who have gone to the playoffs. Baez is also a right-hander though, which may take some luster off of Baez as opposed to Sherrill. If Brad Lidge is going to continue to struggle, I don't think that the Phillies would be a bad option. Also, I had heard the Astros may be looking to trade Jose Valverde. If the Astros got rid of Valverde, I don't think they'd be silly to deal for Sherrill, because he is cheaper by about 5.5 million dollars. Believe it or not though, Sherill is a year older then Valverde.

Cla Meredith- San Diego Padres
Possibilities: Mariners, Tigers, Yankees, Phillies, Whole League
You can never have too many submarine relievers. Meredith is probably a short term guy, an inning, two tops. Meredith is a side armer and could be a good bridge to a solid closer, or could be a good bridge to your real set up guy. Once again, like the Diamondbacks, the Padres aren't going anywhere. It's probably a good idea to deal, so I am going to assign Cla Meredith to..... the Chicago White Sox.

Brad Penny-St. Louis Cardinals
Possibilities: Rangers, Cardinals, Phillies, Mets
The Red Sox are probably not going to deal Penny, so this is probably just worthless typing on my point. If John Smoltz and Dice-K were solid right now, I'd say there would be a chance but Penny has just been pitching too good for the Red Sox. I am going to say Penny remains a Red Sox and we all live happily ever after.

ESPN Insider is a great place to read up on the rumors and such, and it's just a good website in general, you can check it out at by visiting the website of the Worldwide Leader

No comments: