Friday, July 3, 2009

Thoughts on Wimbledon

As I sit here and watch Roger Federer and Tommy Haas tangle in a men's semifinal at the All England Club, I thought I would give my reflections on Wimbledon.

I am a Majors tennis fan. I can't watch the Lipton Invitational or anything like that, but I can watch the Majors (Australian, French, Wimbledon and the US Open). However, I kind of feel the way about tennis the way I do about soccer, it's hard for me to watch bad tennis or bad soccer. I totally enjoyed last year's Wimbledon final between Nadal and Federer, but it's hard for me to watch (like it probably is for most) Federer play a first round match against an unseeded player, and the result ends up being Federer 6-0, 6-0, 6-1.

As I sit here, Federer trails Haas 3-2 in the first set. I am definitely pulling for Federer in this match, however I am torn to who I am pulling for between Andy Roddick and Andy Murray. Breakfast at Wimbledon would be, I don't know if rabid is the right word, but electric for sure if Federer was tangling with the native, Murray. However, I do know that I don't want to see Roddick, the American, win for one reason and one reason only. Roddick is more entertaining in his press conferences when he takes a loss. Therefore, I am pulling for Roddick to be eliminated at some point.

Chris Evert is right on the money on one thing about the women's game. The grunting is not necessary. Does grunting make you hit the ball harder? I mean, does it really travel at a higher rate of speed and velocity when you grunt? I am not a big tennis player so I wouldn't know, but in my shooting of the roundball, I know if I scream that my shot contains no more arc on it then if I don't scream.

My predictions are Federer over Haas in 4 (Haas leads in the first set 4-3 as I type). I also like 4 for Murray and Roddick with Murray being the victor. Sunday, I will take Federer in 5. Tomorrow, I like Williams to win the women's final (I'll take Serena in straight sets.)

Let me hear your thoughts on the happenings at this year's All England Club.

No comments: